A great looking tile job is only as good as what’s behind the tile. Materials matter, so ITM is committed to quality products. But, as much as we like to sell tile, we really don’t like selling the same job twice! A successful project depends upon having the right tile professional involved in the process. Selecting the “right fit” requires asking the right questions before the project begins. Things to consider:
- Does the installer have experience with the type of project you are undertaking? Some installers like new construction while others prefer remodeling work. Some installers don’t like to work with mosaics; others love them.
- Do you have a clear idea of what you envision from the project? Convey this to your prospective contractor, then ask him or her to educate you about your project. How do they plan to meet your vision? Are there pros and cons to
the approach being taken?
- Does the installer “want” to do the job? The best result is based upon a shared vision and a sense of enthusiasm for the project.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for and check references for your prospective contractor. Did they finish previous jobs on time? Did the finished project meet the expectations of the customer? Were they polite and professional? Did they keep a clean and orderly job site? Seek these answers from someone other than the installer; let someone else sing the praises of the professional in question.
- Does the contractor have a sound knowledge of special aspects of the job? Consider the water proofing necessary for a wet area like a shower or tub, or the setting materials best suited for the project. Is the grout being used the best one available for the installation from among the many on the market today?
Keep in mind that a professional tile contractor will not be hesitant to address your questions or concerns. If they seem leery or brush off your queries, they may not be the best person for the job.
The right materials in the hands of the right installer will make the difference between an unhappy result and a great tile job that you will be proud to show off and live with each day.